The Lake Wilderness Arboretum Foundation (LWAF) is a nonprofit organization that serves as steward for Lake Wilderness Arboretum. Under a joint user agreement with the City of Maple Valley, LWAF maintains the Arboretum in a way that preserves, protects and displays Northwest ecosystems and cultivated landscapes. LWAF is managed by a Board of Directors that operates per a set of approved bylaws.
With the rapid loss of open space and environmental learning opportunities, the Arboretum trail system and gardens provide a unique opportunity for anyone who visits. The Foundation’s ongoing maintenance and improvements to forested areas, trails, display gardens and plant collections help provide a setting where visitors can enjoy and study both natural and cultivated landscapes in an otherwise urban area.
As part of our stewardship, the Foundation also supports horticultural science and conservation by providing educational opportunities in those areas.
Our vision* for Lake Wilderness Arboretum is that it showcase Northwest ecosystems and cultural landscapes that promote horticultural science and provide opportunities for educational and recreational experiences.
To realize this vision, LWAF is committed to:
- develop and maintain Lake Wilderness Arboretum in cooperation with the City of Maple Valley
- create educational programs in partnership with the regional community that will provide opportunities for environmental education
- gain national recognition for the Arboretum
- provide opportunities for individuals, community groups and neighborhoods to enhance their surroundings
- collect and propagate plants for the purpose of income, distribution and study
*as defined in the Vision 2010 presentation